First Aid Kit wins the third annual Nordic Music Prize!
The Nordic Music Prize’s distinguished jury has decided that the Nordic Music Prize goes to Swedish First Aid Kit for the album The Lion’s Roar. First Aid Kit secured the victory in close competition with 11 other nominees.
The jury states:
No-one in the jury could argue against the power of this record. The songwriting is exquisite, the melodies timeless, the harmonies heartbreakingly beautiful. There is warmth here that pulses from the heart of Scandinavia, yet this music also gets under the skin of the American dream, in a way that only outsiders could manage to do. Especially these two. This double album really does something that is quite rare: it communicates the pure joy of music.
The jury consisted of:
• Andres Lokko – Journalist, Sweden
• Laurence Bell – Domino Records, UK
• Jeannette Lee – Rough Trade Records, UK
• Mike Pickering – Columbia Records, UK
• Jonathan Galkin – DFA Records, US
• Jude Rogers – The Guardian, UK
The other 11 nominees were:
• Susanne Sundfør – The Silicon Veil
• Pää kii – Pää kii
• Ásgeir Trausti – Dýrð í dauðaþögn
• Choir of Young Believers – Rhine Gold
• Lindstrøm – Smalhans
• Anna von Hausswolff – Ceremony
• Selvhenter – Frk. B. Fricka
• Retro Stefson – Retro Stefson
• Kerkko Koskinen Kollektiivi – Kerkko Koskinen Kollektiivi
• Neneh Cherry & the Thing – The Cherry Thing
• Tønes – Sån av salve